Diploma of Youth Work Study Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for Module CHCMH411A_STRATEGIX - WORK WITH PEOPLE WITH MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES

+2
cherry-rose
Meggan
6 posters

Go down

Question for Module CHCMH411A_STRATEGIX - WORK WITH PEOPLE WITH MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES Empty Question for Module CHCMH411A_STRATEGIX - WORK WITH PEOPLE WITH MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES

Post by Meggan Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:55 am

Hey Guys,

Wondering if you could help me. Doing the question of Activity 1-From the list of factors currently effecting mental health services in Australia, select two items and describe, in detail, the impact and the likely repercussions.

I have chose
b. Lack of adequate mental health services caused by lack of funding.
f. Limited support for carers.

Just wondering if anyone did these ones and have a good website I can research information for them?

Meggan
Admin

https://youthworkstudygroup.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Question for Module CHCMH411A_STRATEGIX - WORK WITH PEOPLE WITH MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES Empty Re: Question for Module CHCMH411A_STRATEGIX - WORK WITH PEOPLE WITH MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES

Post by cherry-rose Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:29 am

I didn't choose these questions but i would look at  World health organisation for info they have heaps of great material. I tried to port the link but i wont let me ? but just copy and paste the question into google and it should come up anyway

Hope that helps a little, they have heaps of great info  Very Happy

cherry-rose

Back to top Go down

Question for Module CHCMH411A_STRATEGIX - WORK WITH PEOPLE WITH MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES Empty Re: Question for Module CHCMH411A_STRATEGIX - WORK WITH PEOPLE WITH MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES

Post by Meggan Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:03 am

Hey cherry-rose.

Is this the one you were talking about? http://www.who.int/en/

Meggan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Meggan Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:45 am

Hey everyone. Working on this question. You are a mental health worker and you have been seeing Tony for six months. He suffers from chronic depression, but he is able to carry out his work. He functions quite well as long as he takes antidepressant medication. One morning he calls you in a distressed state to say his girlfriend has left him and he now has no reason to go on living.
How might you respond to Tony’s distress?

I think I have nailed the answer to that one but do you know where I can find anywhere in the materials or on the net to answer the second part which is:

What reporting procedures might you need to follow and why is this necessary?

Meggan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cherry-rose Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:43 am

i wrote this - got it off one of the slides

Any change to the mental health of a person, including changes in their distress level needs to reported to supervisor and or medical practitioner or psychiatrist, depending on organisational protocol. Clear and concise objective reports must be writen after meeting with the client and kept confidential.

cherry-rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Meggan Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:22 pm

Thanks for that Cherry

Meggan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Applecat Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:54 am

@Meggan..I didn't choose those ones however, they are very topical in today's media. So for my ones I even referenced TV programs such as, Q&A, and also just the latest news headlines in regards to the 2014 budget. Not sure where you are based but in NSW the Local Area Health Services have some good information, Uniting Care, Salvation Army and Red Cross. Hope this helps. This is definitely the most challenging unit yet. Shocked 

Applecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Applecat Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:57 am

Hi everyone, in regards to this unit. Question on "creating a dialogue" is really challenging me. I don't know where to start or where to stop...any tips would be great.... Very Happy 

Applecat

Back to top Go down

Post by cherry-rose Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:35 am

I found that really difficult too! having to write both parts was weird but this is mine so you can have an idea-

Hi Brian, thanks for coming in to see me today. How can I help?

Well, I have been struggling a lot lately and I’ve recently been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. I have been anxious most of my life and I’m tired of feeling this way.

Ok so it sounds like things are tough at the moment. Is there anything that has contributed or triggered to how you are feeling at the moment?

I am going through a divorce at the moment so I guess the stress of the relationship breaking down and being by myself a lot more doesn’t help.

So how does it feel for you when you get anxious?

My heart races, I can’t stop worrying about ridiculous things happening, like an impending sense of doom. I have this weight on my chest that doesn’t go away. I’m off work at the moment because it’s so bad.

So the feeling of isolation after your marriage has ended has exacerbated how you are feeling, and now you are further isolated from not being able to work?

Yeah I guess it’s just going round in circles.

So what do you hope to achieve by coming to see me today?

Well, getting back to work is the main goal. Feeling better is definitely a priority. I just want to function normally.

So what’s normal for you?

Being able to leave my house and interact with people socially and professionally. Feeling normal, and not anxious all of the time.

So you mentioned that you have been dealing with this for most of your life, what has worked in the past to improve your symptoms and state of mind?

Well, I used to talk to my wife about how I was feeling. And generally avoid situations that I knew would make me feel anxious, such as confrontation.

So let’s look into some techniques into managing the anxiety and stress that you are dealing with and look at other causes and triggers for the way you are feeling as well. I’d also like to look at your immediate needs in terms of advising work of your situation so that we can work together with your employer to devise a plan and return to work date. I think that helping you to re-engage with a support network will also help. How does this all sound to you?

Yeah that sounds good.

Working together we can utilise your strengths to help make some positive changes.

cherry-rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry83 Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:35 am

cherry-rose wrote:i wrote this - got it off one of the slides

Any change to the mental health of a person, including changes in their distress level needs to reported to supervisor and or medical practitioner or psychiatrist, depending on organisational protocol. Clear and concise objective reports must be writen after meeting with the client and kept confidential.

I concur, with Cherry-Rose ... this was my answer also from the slides and a bit of paraphrasing;

Any changes to the mental health of a person, including changes to their level of distress, should be reported to a supervisor and, in some cases, to a medical practioner or psychiatrist, depending on the protocol followed in the organisation.

Reports must be clear, concise and objective to accurately apply concepts of duty of care and vicarious liability to professional practice to ensure that people recieve safe and conscientious care and that the organisation's policies, procedures and reputation are upheld.

Mental health workers owe a duty of care in any circumstance where it is reasonably foreseeable that a person in their care might suffer from some sort of harm or loss because of something they do or might not do. The person acting in a caring role has a legal obligation to act in ways to protect the client.

Mental health workers who fail to furfil their duty of care, they can be deemed, in terms of legal actions, penalties and fines or civil ligation negligent. If a worker (or organisation) does not provide a reasonable standard of care and a client suffers harms or loss as a result, then they are likely to be found negligent.

Applecat wrote:Hi everyone, in regards to this unit. Question on "creating a dialogue" is really challenging me. I don't know where to start or where to stop...any tips would be great.... Very Happy

This one also stumped me. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.
Kerry83
Kerry83

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry83 Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:40 am

Cherry-Rose may I ask how you went about activity 8? Your answer for Activity 9 provided a great deal of help.
Kerry83
Kerry83

Back to top Go down

Post by cherry-rose Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:46 am

David 32 has Diagnosed Clinical depression, recently his first child was born and he is struggling with keeping it together. He isn’t going to work and just sleeping all day. Is worried about losing everything if he doesn’t get help.

First encounter-

Worker- “Hello, My name is Cherry and I’ll be looking after you today. Let’s start by you telling me what has brought you here today David?”
David- “Hi Cherry, Im sorry I don’t know what else to do. I am really struggling at the moment and seem to be messing everything up. I’m about to lose my job and I have a little girl who is only 6 weeks old and my partner just can’t understand why I can’t get it together.”
Worker- “Well you have made the right choice today by taking the first step and coming here to talk to someone about what is going on. No need to be sorry David, I’m here to help you. So why don’t you tell me what’s happening with work?”
David- “I just really hate my job, I have been doing it for years and I have to get up at 4:30 every morning and work 12 hr days doing something I hate and just feel trapped. Our little girl Sally is only 6 weeks old and is up most of the night with her mum and they try not to wake me but they do. So im sleep deprived already. For the last month I have stayed home and not gotten out of bed. Ignoring my partner when she asking what’s wrong, sending work texts making elaborate stories about why I can’t come. The truth is I just don’t want to get out of bed and have to deal with what a failure I am. I have been on anti-depressants for a year now and I don’t think they do anything.”
Worker- “Well that sounds very hard for you David, I’m sorry you are feeling this way. Wow a new baby girl, how precious for you. These first few months really are the toughest losing sleep and having someone so totally dependent on you. Must be a big change for you. So you say you have been on Anti-depressants for almost a year?”
David-“Yeah about a year.”
Worker- “ok, and have you had any counselling?”
David-“No.”
Worker-“ok, well a lot of the time the anit-depressants on their own can help greatly when treating depression, I would say we might need to have a look at a few other complimentary options to go with them. Counselling can be great. Do you get much exercise?”
David-“No, im too tired from work and the baby.”
Worker-“ok, that’s fair enough, we might have a look at a few different options for you and work out a care plan together so we can get you feeling happy again and be a part of your precious family. Maybe even taking Sally for a walk might be nice for you, getting out in the fresh air and bonding time with your daughter. Sounds like you might really be ready for a change in work as well. Im sure together we can get you through this.”
David-“ok, thanks I just don’t want to disappoint anyone anymore.”
Worker-“You’re not disappointing anyone David, Depression is a very hard thing for anyone at any age to go through. It’s just important that we get you through this and together I believe we can do it.”

cherry-rose

Back to top Go down

Post by cherry-rose Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:49 am

David 32 has Diagnosed Clinical depression, recently his first child was born and he is struggling with keeping it together. He isn’t going to work and just sleeping all day. Is worried about losing everything if he doesn’t get help.

First encounter-

Worker- “Hello, My name is Cherry and I’ll be looking after you today. Let’s start by you telling me what has brought you here today David?”
David- “Hi Cherry, Im sorry I don’t know what else to do. I am really struggling at the moment and seem to be messing everything up. I’m about to lose my job and I have a little girl who is only 6 weeks old and my partner just can’t understand why I can’t get it together.”
Worker- “Well you have made the right choice today by taking the first step and coming here to talk to someone about what is going on. No need to be sorry David, I’m here to help you. So why don’t you tell me what’s happening with work?”
David- “I just really hate my job, I have been doing it for years and I have to get up at 4:30 every morning and work 12 hr days doing something I hate and just feel trapped. Our little girl Sally is only 6 weeks old and is up most of the night with her mum and they try not to wake me but they do. So im sleep deprived already. For the last month I have stayed home and not gotten out of bed. Ignoring my partner when she asking what’s wrong, sending work texts making elaborate stories about why I can’t come. The truth is I just don’t want to get out of bed and have to deal with what a failure I am. I have been on anti-depressants for a year now and I don’t think they do anything.”
Worker- “Well that sounds very hard for you David, I’m sorry you are feeling this way. Wow a new baby girl, how precious for you. These first few months really are the toughest losing sleep and having someone so totally dependent on you. Must be a big change for you. So you say you have been on Anti-depressants for almost a year?”
David-“Yeah about a year.”
Worker- “ok, and have you had any counselling?”
David-“No.”
Worker-“ok, well a lot of the time the anit-depressants on their own can help greatly when treating depression, I would say we might need to have a look at a few other complimentary options to go with them. Counselling can be great. Do you get much exercise?”
David-“No, im too tired from work and the baby.”
Worker-“ok, that’s fair enough, we might have a look at a few different options for you and work out a care plan together so we can get you feeling happy again and be a part of your precious family. Maybe even taking Sally for a walk might be nice for you, getting out in the fresh air and bonding time with your daughter. Sounds like you might really be ready for a change in work as well. Im sure together we can get you through this.”
David-“ok, thanks I just don’t want to disappoint anyone anymore.”
Worker-“You’re not disappointing anyone David, Depression is a very hard thing for anyone at any age to go through. It’s just important that we get you through this and together I believe we can do it.”

cherry-rose

Back to top Go down

Post by cherry-rose Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:50 am

if you have someone you could try role play with it might help  Smile 

cherry-rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry83 Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:12 am

thanks cherry that was a huge help!
Kerry83
Kerry83

Back to top Go down

Post by cherry-rose Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:36 pm

No probs

cherry-rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Applecat Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:54 am

Thanks for that dialogue. Yes that's what I thought we had to do but wasn't sure how to start the ball rolling, makes complete sense now.

Applecat

Back to top Go down

Post by cherry-rose Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:08 am

Another thing to remember is to try and paraphrase what the client is telling you.

cherry-rose

Back to top Go down

Question for Module CHCMH411A_STRATEGIX - WORK WITH PEOPLE WITH MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES Empty really stuck can anybody help

Post by sarah1992 Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:00 am

hi everyone,
im extremely stuck on a few questions.
activity 12 in section 2: What other legal and statutory obligations apply to work and workers in the mental health sector?
and From the list you made of legal and statutory obligations select two that you consider particularly apply in the mental health sector. Explain why you selected them and detail the ways in which they might impact on mental health sector work.
i can't seem to find information on this anywhere.

sarah1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Meggan Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:06 am

Hey guys,

Having a bit of trouble with this question:
Activity 5
• Section 82(1) of the Mental Health Act defines seclusion as ‘the sole confinement of a person at any hour of the day or night in a room of which the doors and windows are locked from the outside. This includes the confinement of a person alone in any room or space within a building, the exit of which cannot be opened by the person from the inside’.

Conduct research to clarify statutory requirements and duty of care responsibilities applying to the seclusion of clients with mental health issues.

I found the QLD Act but just don't know how to word it right.

Meggan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sarah1992 Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:57 pm

can someone please explain to me what mental health legislation is? confused 

sarah1992

Back to top Go down

Post by cherry-rose Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:43 am

I put this
The person must be receiving treatment for a mental disorder in an approved
mental health service. Seclusion, therefore, cannot be legally applied in a service
that is not an approved mental health service, such as a private hospital or supported
residential service.
• The person can only be secluded to protect themselves or other persons from
immediate or imminent risk to their safety or to prevent the person from absconding.
An approval of/authority for use of seclusion form (MHA 30) must be completed at
the time of seclusion by the person approving or authorising the seclusion. The form
must show:
• the commencement, finish and total time for the seclusion episode (at the
cessation of an authorised and/or approved period of a seclusion episode)
• the name of the person who authorised and/or approved seclusion
• when seclusion is authorised by the senior registered nurse on duty,
the name of the authorised psychiatrist who is notified and the date and
time the notification occurred
• the name of the registered medical practitioner and the date and time
of notification
• Seclusion must be approved or authorised.
• The person is reviewed at intervals of not more than fifteen minutes by a
registered nurse.
• A medical practitioner examines the person at not more than four-hourly intervals.
• The person is supplied with appropriate bedding, clothing, food, drink and toilet
arrangements• the name of the senior registered nurse who kept the person in seclusion.
This must be recorded on the ‘Clinical Observations’ page of the MHA 30 form
(and continued as applicable on the MHA30A form) at each change of shift to
reflect responsibility for the nursing care provided for the duration of the shift
• the legal status of the secluded person
• the reason/s for the seclusion and
• in the case of variation to the interval for medical examination, the frequency at
which medical examinations are to occur, the reasons for variation, the signature
of the authorised psychiatrist and the date.
A record of clinical and medical reviews is to be maintained on the ‘Clinical
observations page of the MHA 30 and MHA 30A form as applicable.
If the period of seclusion applied in an emergency includes a change of nursing shift,
a new authority is to be completed so that accountability and responsibility for the
nursing management of the patient in seclusion rests with the senior registered
nurse on duty.
Monthly reporting

not sure if its right though :/

cherry-rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Meggan Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:49 am

Hey Sarah, Was that off a site? If so do you have the address?

Meggan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GynAnscombe Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:02 am

Hi I am stuck on how to get started with activity 11 in section 2 any ideas would be great

GynAnscombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down